Hello. I am Suzanne Yada. But you knew that.
I’m a web producer for the Center for Investigative Reporting, which includes the major projects California Watch and the Bay Citizen. I love my job. It keeps me busy (a little too busy to update my own website!).
Things I was:
- Journalism major and business minor at San Jose State University.
- Social media strategist, designer and steering committee member at the Public Press.
- Web intern at the Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal.
- Copy editor and web editor at SHiFT Magazine.
- Vice chairwoman on the CoPress board.
- Host of CollegeJourn weekly chats.
Things I do:
I do that social media stuff.
- Created a social media strategy for the Public Press.
- Manage Facebook fan page and Twitter account for the Public Press.
- Did social media outreach in conjunction with Spot.Us to fundraise for the Public Press’ City Budget Watchdog beat.
- Devour blog posts about the future of journalism through Google Reader and pass along links via Twitter, Facebook and/or Delicious.
- Blog at the hyperlocal site San Jose Metblogs.
- Set up Ning social network for KFSC-LP 941.1 FM Visalia.
- Managed comments and community forums at the Visalia Times-Delta.
I develop business stuff.
- Aided in business planning and research for the Public Press.
- Created marketing and social media strategies for the Public Press.
- Drafted marketing plan for low-power radio station KFSC-LP 94.1 FM Visalia.
- Member of the Entrepreneurial Society at SJSU.
I start things.
- Wrote, edited and designed Explore Central Valley Downtowns, a quarterly insert in the Visalia Times-Delta and Tulare Advance-Register.
- Started Visaliyoung, an organization dedicated to promoting and advancing the arts in Visalia-area youth.
- Co-founder and editor of Evolution, the Mt. Whitney High School literary magazine.
- Started my own independent zine.
I manage things.
- Social media manager for the Public Press.
- Editor-in-chief at The Campus, College of the Sequoias.
- Editor-in-chief for The Truth/Xposed, a now-defunct youth magazine in Visalia.
- Technical editor for the Mt. Whitney High School Pioneer.
I design things.
- Designing graphics for the Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal.
- Numerous flyers, brochures and other materials for the Public Press and SPJ NorCal.
- Designed a handful of spreads in SHiFT Magazine.
- Redesigned the total market coverage product for the Visalia Times-Delta and Tulare Advance-Register.
- Designed many A1 pages for Visalia Times-Delta. See my portfolio.
- In fact, just see my portfolio for more.
I write things.
- Too many things. Just go to my portfolio.
I edit wordy things.
- Copy editor for SHiFT Magazine.
- Coordinator for Access Magazine.
- Copy editor for the Visalia Times-Delta and Tulare Advance-Register.
I edit things that are noisy.
- Produced and edited weekly radio show on UK culture at KFSC-LP 94.1.
I edit things that move.
- Shot and edited weekly entertainment video blog at the Visalia Times-Delta.
I fundraise and plan events for things that are awesome.
- Helped organize fundraisers for The Public Press, including events and campaigns in conjunction with Spot.Us.
- Publicized and moderation live online comments for SPJ NorCal “A Conversation About the Chronicle” journalism panel.
- Helped organize music festival for KFSC-LP 94.1 FM.
- Organized Arts and Culture Festival for Visaliyoung, including obtaining all permits, booths, live music and insurance needed.
- Organized and publicized fundraisers for two European trips with the Sequoia Youth Symphony, including writing press releases, designing the logo and letterhead, and appearing on local media outlets.
Things I like that aren’t so journo-ey
- Playing piano
- Playing violin
- Trying out new dining options
- Soaking in some modern art
- Hitting random on my iPod
- Laughing at British comedy
- Having deep conversations. With you.